A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Resurrection

In doing some much needed cleaning today I came upon a bag in the bottom and back of a drawer. It was an old grocery bag, the plastic kind, and it was jam packed. I pulled it out wondering what sort of crap I had tossed in there, probably during some move.......and then I opened it.

And saw my whole life tumble out.

It was, essentially, every picture that I ever thought was lost, from grade school through college.

I'll be sharing a lot of these with you because there are moments in these pictures that were lost in time that came zipping back to life today as I sat crying and shaking going throught them, picture by picture. I could remember zoom lenses not working, and what we had been doing when the pictures were taken. There was none of that "Man what was that" in the stack......each moment jumped off the paper and I could remember their sounds and smells and it was heart wrenching and precious all at the same time.

I would like to start with these two. I am 12 in this picture. In my arms are my two treasures, my cat Morris (who lived to be 18) and my brother Matt, who in this picture is just 1. In this picture I have just gotten home from intramural basketball practice (see the shirt). It's Fall and we are sitting outside because it's a pretty warm day and my Aunt Suzie has just come over, she was home for some reason. She took the pictures. Not too long after this picture we went down to the Pizza King for dinner. I had Mello Yello to drink with my pizza. It was a very happy day.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful find! My parents rarely took photos of us, so I think it's great that you have this photo of an everyday moment. I can't wait to see more!

I can see why you named your cat Morris! And aw, how cute are you and your baby brother?!

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

You guys are adorable!

christa said...

oh what a treasure! i can't wait to see some of the others!

Becky said...

How incredibly sweet. I was 12 when my baby brother was born too.