A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Grass Was Greener

I have been embarrassed the past few days by the nice things being said to me at my new job. Don't get me wrong, I like praise - and I think I do a good job. But, it has seemed effusive, it has seemed like a lot - way more than I am accustomed to. Then a visiting manager said something to me that opened up my mind. She said to me "It was nice to see you again, you always make me smile - you just seem so happy to be here."

She is right. I am so happy to be there. I wake up happy. It occurs to me that I had really allowed my last job to make me miserable in the name of cashflow. And I am vowing now, that will never happen again.

I will never again let a job make me feel guilty or afraid because I need to spend time with my family, make me work 6 days a week consistently with no compensation, make me give tacit approval for unethical practices and unfair work conditions. I will never again allow a job to repeatedly call me on vacation and at all hours about NOTHING - or should I say JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN. I will never again work for someone who verbally abuses their staff to such an extent that the managers feel a desperate need to protect the people below them from the reality of senior management.

I knew it was a sign, that despite my terror at lack of income and healthcare for my family, that I was RELIEVED never to have to walk back into that building. I knew it meant something, to feel like Mel Gibson in Braveheart screaming "FREEDOM" when I realized I was no longer in their power. It was worth it.

It just took my new experience to make me feel valued again, and to really make me realize that work can be joyous - work can make you feel good about what you do and part of something that is making a difference.

We were once lectured, for hours, at the old job, that we were working in a "Family Atmosphere." Actually, it was screamed at us. I now work in a family atmosphere, one built on respect and mutual kindness.
Perhaps he meant "Manson Family Atmosphere."

1 comments:

Greg Hoffman, Internet Marketing Gorilla said...

Amen Sister...

It's so wonderful on the outside of that "family company".

But I've been told by a certain someone to stop fishing in their pond for talented employees. My first takeaway starts tomorrow at my company. She is just one of many to follow once they see the light.

I'm glad you are happy professionally. So am I.