A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

BOLD FACED LIE #3 I AM SHORT

If being almost 6 feet tall is short on your planet, then yes. I am short.
You know that old wives tale that you can double a child's height at 2 and that is how tall of an adult they will be? Well, I used to PRAY it was true.
Because that would have sent me towering over the six foot mark - which I thought would be the coolest thing ever.
Being tall had it's down side growing up. I always had to sit in the back of the classroom, I was so tall. Back with the other super tall freaks who didn't fit into the desks made for "normal kids" our age. Sometimes the janitor would have to come and adjust the height of the desk for you.
An additional down side was that sitting in the back, I couldn't read the blackboard.

Now, this might seem like a strange thing, like a weird leap - but in my kid-brain, it made sense. I couldn't read the blackboard, and I thought it was because I was sitting in the back of the room. When I got to the age where I actually had to take notes off the board, I'd run up at the end of class and scribble down what what the board said or I'd copy off of someone else later. This went on for years. I couldn't see lots of things, but I didn't know it. It never occurred to me that other people could see blades of grass, or individual leaves on trees. After all, things that were far away - just didn't seem like things I should expect to be able to see. How would you see something that was far away?

And then, I went to get my learner's permit for driving and BEHOLD I couldn't see. I needed glasses. Surprise.

You WERE supposed to be able to read the blackboard in school.

And I didn't know.

Because I was tall.


******************
Be sure to check out the fantastic contest going on at Props and Pans - you could win THE BIGGEST BANG!!! TOTALLY SWEET! Check it out!

0 comments: