A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Popcorn and Down Syndrome Screening

Just when you think that you won't be able to distract yourself from a test you're not looking forward to, reality comes along and gives you something to figure out.
Such as - why is my child making that noise with is nose?
And - why is he gingerly touching his nose making a snuffing sound?

When I tilt his head back......I see the problem.

He's stuffed popcorn kernels into his nostrils.

Both of them.

I try to dislodge them with my pinkie fingernail but quickly realize that this is pushing them further back. So I gingerly push from his cheeks toward the opening of his nose and VOILA - it rains popcorn kernels out his nose.

Ahhhhhhh.......the stuff they don't put in the books - eh?

Know what else they don't put in books? Well, they might put it in books, but like - they don't properly beat you over the head with it - is that they're gonna scare the bejesus out of you about down syndrome if you're an older mother.

We're going tomorrow to get the baby screened for down syndrome. It's a fancy ultrasound that looks for physical markers. If they see the physical markers they'll recomment amniocentesis.

85% of all Down Syndrome children are born to women under 35. My chance of having a Child with Down Syndrome is only 2% - which is 98% chance of it not being a problem at all then isn't it?

Yet I fret a little.

I suppose at this point all I can hope is that some day he or she grows up, and doesn't stick popcorn kernels up her nose.

1 comments:

Tara said...

As the mom of six (one of which happens to have Down syndrome, btw), I can safely assure you that your kid will stick something up his or her nose! :) When this happens, here's what you do: If only one nostril is clogged, pinch close the other one and blow in the child's mouth as hard as you can...the bead, popcorn kernal, or bee bee will fly out. :)

Blessings on your pregnancy (I can tell you that Ds has turned into the ultimate gift for our family)!