A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Gall Stone SNEAK ATTACK

I am not sure you are aware, but you gallbladder has ninja-like forces waiting to do you harm. It's true. You'll be sitting about(or sleeping), minding your own business and WHAM......suddenly it's 4am and you're in screaming agony without explanation and then the next thing you know it's all flashing lights and men in blue uniforms asking questions quietly as they load up up to take you away.
Yeah.
I've had this PAIN I get every once in a blue moon, and a doctor told me it was probably ulcer, given my history of reflux and bad acid issues.
But early this AM......well, it wasn't like it was in the past. It was the same PAIN, in fact - but it wasn't going away, it wasn't subsiding or calming. It was getting fiercer and fiercer and well.......it was that cliche they use - IT WAS BLINDING.
I could barely think through it.
You know you're in a lot of pain when the EMTs are repeatedly poking you and commenting on your small veins, and you don't much care. By the time I got to the hospital, the pain killer I had taken in vain at home had kicked in - exactly enough to make me tired but still in pain.
I told them I thought it was an ulcer but as soon as they heard I'd never had official ulcer diagnosis they pulled all out all the big guns for testing and came back with the unexpected
"you have a large gallstone in the NECK of your gallbladder."

My gallbladder has a neck? What?
I had wondered if something unusual was up during the ultrasound when the tech kept trying "to see if it was moving" but truthfully, by then I'd had more pain killer and this and that pumped into the IV and well......I didn't much care.

So I've slept the day away, eaten broth, baked potato and toast and in general felt kinda crummy. But the agony is gone. They say it was moving, that this was causing the pain.

And I have to go see the surgeon this next week or soon. Because I have to have it dealt with.

I am so not excited.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry...that sucks!
on the other hand, it does have to be a sneak attack, because if the gallbladder asked us for permission to inflict that kind of pain, few people would rsvp in the affirmative.

rabidxdisease said...

That sucks dearest. I'm sorry you had to deal with that, but hopefully they'll get in there and get rid of it and you'll never have to think about this chapter in your life again!