A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Nebraska


Okay so it wasn't that bad. I actually sort of had some fun in Nebraska. And I kept YOU in mind while I was snapping away. This is what it looks like when you are in Denver, have been told what gate to go out and find that there are about 8 identical planes all waiting.......and it's a game where you get to find out which one is yours.
Which is all very good times. One other feature I really really enjoyed on the flight between Denver and Kearney was that my plane seemed to have been built by Howard Hughes personally. At least, it was that old. It didn't have the protective door between the pilot. Which was nice since I was only about 3 feet behind him, it gave me someone to chat with (kidding, there was NO Chatting going on over the roar of the propellers on that fine 18 seat plane). He did give me the complete run down on how to open the door in case of emergency. SWEET.
What I was most disturbed by at the beginning of the flight was this bundle of wires hanging down somewhat loosely over the control panel.
I became MORE disturbed though when from time to time he would adjust the altimeter. Manually. I swear to GOD it would say 17000 feet and he'd reach up and adjust it to 18000 and I'm like "HEY! Are you supposed to DO THAT?" and he'd laugh. As we were descending I could only see UP out the pilots windshield (I was sitting in a weird cubby hold seat behind the pilot that was windowless) and with the apparently broken altimeter, I wasn't aware of how high up we were. 2600 feet, 2400 feet, 2200 feet BANG! and I let out a scream.
Seems we had landed.
Scared the crap out of me, though, I thought we HIT something at 2200 feet.

Coming soon........More Fun In Nebraska!

3 comments:

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Maybe he should have been adjusting even more.

Becky said...

Were they serving drinks too? They like Corn Whiskey there, you know.

Lumpyheadsmom said...

Okay, I get why you were going to Nebraska, and I get why the pilot was going to Nebraska, what with it being his job and all.

But there were other people on the plane? Why in heaven's name would additional people be going to Nebraska?