A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Monday, June 24, 2013

One Plus One Equals Six

I was given a bamboo plant by my friend Michelle K. when I had my first son. It had three stalks, and we felt it symbolized our family. We took good care of it until our family exploded into 5 just a short 19 months later. At that point, we didn't take good care of anything for a while and mostly keeping everyone alive every day was our big achievement.

The bamboo died.

The children did not. Victory was ours.

But when we relocated to Georgia we acquired a new bamboo. They call them lucky bamboo in the stores where you buy them, and I don't know about all that, but we felt that we needed a new one, and found one with five stalks.

In the past couple of years, it's really grown.
After starting out about ten inches tall maybe, it's over twice that now. In fact it burst open it's cute little pot.
And I don't know if it's lucky or not, but I know it's smart. After all, a plant that had five base stalks, grew a sixth one right on time.
If it's not lucky. It's kinda cool.

It's almost as if our bamboo plant knew what my husband says, one plus one equals six.


0 comments: