A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Starting It Off Right

Time to bake some  muffins!
Starting off my New Year's Day baking with my children was possibly the best thing I could think of to do, to start 2013. It got me thinking, while two of them were stirring and the other two were having a bit of a Gangnam Style dance around the kitchen, that my good friend is right, I hold back stuff that other autism parents might like to know.
I thought of this, when I was taking out cups for water.

It isn't a decision that seems that monumental. All parents move their kids from sippy cups to regular cups.

Except that, I moved mine at about age 7.

That's not something I have ever felt good about sharing. So weird, but - my 8 year olds aren't that great with regular cups. When we go out to eat, we still give them sippy cups for their soda because CHAOS. Soft cups get squished in over excited hands, cups go flying if hands are flapping. Their hands do flap and flail a bit sometimes, especially when excited or upset.
Roasting marshmallows for s'mores !
My oldest son built our fire by himself last night. That's not a skill my twins are ever likely to pick up. But, they gathered close (after I took this picture of course), and waited for marshmallows to burn up crispy for our New Year's Eve treat of smore's while we watched Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve.
Charlie and Mommy
It's not a perfect life. But it's ours and I like it. I even like it on the days I don't like it at all.

I think that's the trick.
So it's 2013. Time for another year of adventure. I hope you enjoy it as much as I will.

0 comments: