A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Hip Bone's Connected to the PAIN Bone

When I was pregnant with the first child, I heard a lot of excuses about some hip discomfort I had. Mostly that it was due to the stretching of the tendons or ligaments or whatever in your hips that will cause them to "slip" especially when you are carrying a BIG baby. It makes getting up and down hard and is often to blame for the pregnant waddle - our bodies don't WORK right anymore.
I also heard a lot of smack about how, at 34, my body wouldn't handle being pregnant as well as a twenty something's so I could expect hip problems during pregnancy.

19 months later as I was waddling around carrying TWO, my hip problems were much worse, and to add insult to injury - after I delivered they didn't go away. I had major problems, I'd get stuck in chairs and no not because of my ass. I couldn't make my hips MOVE to get up or down, and sometimes not to swing around to get out of the car. In short - my hips staged a rebellion.

It truly went on for years and I think it only just settled down in the last year or two. It's not been perfect but, soooo much better. I can't remember the last time I got stuck in the car - unable to make my torso move because my hips simply wouldn't cooperate.

But apparently now at 7 months we're back in full swing as I woke up at about 3 am in agony-on my left side and my left hip was screaming. As was I. My husband rushed to me and I assured him it wasn't the baby but the pain, my god the pain was unbelievable. It just kept getting worse and worse and I was struggling to move my leg - but it didn't occur to me it was truly "that hip problem" until he helped me get up and I walked around..........and it popped into place and the pain stopped.

This morning I coughed and I actually felt it move - which hurt A LOT.

So now what? Two more months of this. Great. I can hardly wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had a hip replacement due to arthritis. after a few weeks my hip began to dislocate. like what happened to you. you are right about the pain. unreal. so until you can get to an orthopedic surgeon, i suggest that you sleep on your back with a pillow between your knees. (i know i used to sleep on my side, and hope to again.)i would suggest you get to the orthopedist sooner rather than later. there are other things you can do to keep it from dislocating. my fingers are crossed for both of us. oh and don't cross your legs. that is another one.

Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo said...

A mother at my sons school just had a double hip replacement. At 35.

Blows my mind.

Anonymous seems to have some good ideas, which is kinda amazing considering, well YOU KNOW, they are anonymous and anonymous usually just screams YOU SUCK or whatever... well at least they do when they come to my blog.

Yeah, well, I will mosey along now. Seems the caffeine has kicked in rather suddenly...