A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Cubicle Farm Reorganization

We're constantly rearranging in the company where I work. Knocking down cubicles, putting up different cubicles. Putting up cubicles where cubicles used to be and then tearing them down again. Violating the fire codes this way and that, only to be told we're violating the fire codes and having to change everything. It's like a game.
You know how some people are obsessed with their office? I'm not that person. I just need space and a modicum of privacy and I'm okay. I am not an ego-maniac and at one point even turned down a REAL office with a door vs. a cubicle office - mostly due to the fact that the real office being offered also had all of the pipes from the upstairs bathroom running through it's walls. Every flush is a loud annoying sound. Plus it's an ice box. Way too cold in there all the time. I like to be in the center of the action where I can hear if any madness is going on.
So today, they remodeled again.
I lost a FOOT of width on my cubicle. I think today I made the only demand I've ever made that was office related. My new office no longer would allow my conference table to be in there, and I just couldn't stand it. I mean, if I'm being the lowest maintenace manager ABOUT the office situation, can I PLEASE Get something I want out of my office space? So, after I let everyone know how my office wasn't acceptable and would have to be fixed, the maintenance team was SAWING part of my old table off to make it fit and still not violate the fire code. Fine. It'll be smaller, but still there. See, I'm not unreasonable.
My neighbor however is going to blow a gasket because she lost about 30 inches off of her office space. She now has a LONG THIN OFFICE that one might wisely walk into sideways.
I wonder how it'll take them to put that back the way it was?

2 comments:

Wang Moderator #2 said...

Have they ever Undone a project like that?
I saw the new "rectangular" office today and spoke with its owner. There was steam coming out of her ears.

Gidge said...

They HAVE undone it. This is MY third move, mostly in the space of about 15 feet my office just keeps shifting around, getting smaller and LONGER.
You should have seen it when we moved the entire set of center offices OVER one foot, only to move them back the next week.