A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Saturday, August 09, 2014

He's With The Band

Sixth grade is magical. In sixth grade you get to make the choice to join that most awesome thing ever, THE BAND.

If you weren't in band, well you'll just have to trust me. But we band geeks, band nerds, band dweebs, whatever we are, are really pretty freaking awesome. Some of the best friends in my life, 25 years later, are those folks I spent band hours with.

The boy's school continues to impress me. They really encouraged the kids to try EVERYTHING, tried to teach them a proper embouchure and let them blow. They encouraged them to make different notes, and let them hold the instruments. What impressed me most was that there was no "well you have the teeth of a trombone player" stuff, so the kids really felt good trying things. No pressure.

We landed on trumpet. They had us fill out a secondary choice just in case there were SO many of one thing that they needed to ask folks o reconsider. He chose trombone. Obviously this is the best possible choice, but I'll live with the trumpet thing.

He is, after all, named after Louis Armstrong. It seems fitting.

Of course then they gave us the list of what we need to buy.

I am feeling instant guilt for every time I came home from band and started my greeting with "Mom I need to buy..."

But I'm excited. I think he's going to love it.

0 comments: