A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Sunday, August 19, 2012

You Never Know What Will Stick

I've seen Duran Duran what I think is like, five times now? I am counting, lets see, twice in the 80s, twice in the 90s on "comeback tours" and once last year. So now, six times.

After tonight I will have seen Duran Duran SIX TIMES.

I have seen NO ONE that many times, not even close. Well, I've seen the Billy Joel/Elton John dual headline tour three times. I've seen Billy Joel maybe one or twice more outside of that. I never really thought about this until now. I definitely think of Billy Joel as timeless and classic and, I'd go again in a heartbeat.

But then, Duran Duran?

I read this article once in Rolling Stone about Elvis Costello that rather flippantly said Elvis Costello wasn't like "the clothes horses of Duran Duran". That phrase always stuck with me, because it seemed so COLD, as though that's what they were all about, the clothes. Even the Police were dressed up pretty in the 80s, and without fail you don't classify the Police as a "fashion" band, and the same is true of Duran Duran.

Originally classified as more 80s "New Wave" pop I think it's stood the test of time. I am not alone in grinning and turning it up when Duran Duran comes on the radio. The lyrics are often darker and less cheery than I remember at 16. I rather enjoy the darkness, in my cynical old age. Darkness and lust dressed up in a major key is a perfect recipe for a pop hit.

I saw Duran Duran when Erasure opened for them in the 80s. With our tall hair and our turned up callers, we scoffed as the emcee annouced them as "Madonna's favorite band." By god we weren't going to let Madonna tell us what to like, so we went to get nachos. Now I'm bitter cuz I didn't see Erasure.

I saw Duran Duran on one of their comeback tours with James opening. The place got on it's FEET when James took the stage. My friends and I were like, "Who?". Then they all sat while we danced and screamed for Duran Duran.

I think it's exciting that now, Duran Duran has kind of sloughed off the "comeback tour" thing and are now, just DURAN DURAN on tour and every one is excited. They were exactly as brilliant and fun when I saw them last year as they were when I was 16, and I can't wait to see them again tonight at Chastain park. 

A bubblegum pop band that really wasn't one at all, they truly did stand the test of time.


Tonight at Chastain Park at 8pm - it's DURAN DURAN ! I can't wait!

image by tricia.weight

1 comments:

Laura said...

I have never felt so old as I did when we saw them at Purdue in the 90s. Those 'kids' were probably 5 years younger than us, but it was like they had only ever heard of "Ordinary World". How old did you feel this time??