A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Thursday, August 30, 2012

I Kind of Like Physical Therapy

It's a weird thing, physical therapy. I really actually kind of like it despite the things they ask me to do that kind of hurt or don't really quite work. Such as, they want me to stand on one foot and toss a ball at a trampoline, and then it bounces back to me and I catch it. What'd I learn from this? I learned I have wicked awesome hand-eye coordination, as I can do it with one hand (they were surprised as was the big slavic guy who does therapy when I do). However, actually standing on the one foot WHILE doing this? Total challenge.
I like the TENS machine or whatever it is, that shoots electric pulses at my foot and ankle. Apparently some people find it painful. I really like it, they turned it nearly all the way up and I thought it was like little awesome fingers rubbing my foot. I don't mind the ultrasound therapy, although last time, it got hot for the first time ever. They tell me every time that it warms the tissues but this was the first time I felt it.

The stretching and bike riding and things are ok. Kind of like a super expensive gym.

It also reminds me of how lucky I am to have had this option. Almost everyone there is recovering from surgery that debilitated their movement. I am there trying to stave off such a surgery.

It makes me more motivated, seeing their scars (serious, hideous scars) and how much more everything seems to hurt them than it hurts me. I don't want to be them, trying to sort out how to walk.

So I do my work out and stretches. I do it at work. I do it at home.

Sometimes, I have a helper.
I think that, I'm lucky. Tendinosis and a stress fracture that is healing? I got this. I don't need no stinkin' surgery.

1 comments:

Jaye Fiecke said...

For me, physical therapy is an application of an ancient philosophy – “pain and pleasure”. The beginning phases of PT indeed hurt, but at the end, you’ll feel much rewarded. Nothing compares to the relaxing feeling after a PT session! :)