A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Friday, February 02, 2007

Was your Mom better at this?

Mine was. Is.

I mean, as I'm dashing around the kitchen peeling bananas and making toast and heating sausage and sipping coffee and opening fruit cups.......I'm thinking, my Mom NEVER looked like this. She didn't look harried. She looked like, even with bedhead and a faded nightie and robe, that she had it together. Motherhood was easy.......here, have a cup of tea I'll have a lovely breakfast of biscuits and gravy with eggs and toast on the side in a couple of minutes for you.

Is there some point where the COOL mom gene is going to kick in and I'm going to look like my shit it is together too?

Will I ever effortlessly do laundry and put it away once the dryer is done? Will I whip out the iron and press out wrinkles before I hang up my husband's shirts? I know that after 9 years of wrinkled shirts and messed up collars, this would please him.

Will I be able to look in the cupboard and whip up a tasty meal when the only things available are flour, sugar, butter and potatoes + some random meat?

Will I find a way to listen to every single train related statement my four year old tells me? Because right now I just can't......I swear I try to but do you know how many trains the kids sees in the course of the day? And how much information he is trying to pass to me? It's too much.

Will I find more patience, a more laid back way to be a mom? My mom was 23 when she had me. I was 34 when I had Lil Sachmo. I should be WAY more patient. I am not - I am like a ball of stress.


I don't know how she did it. Granted, she only had me for the first 10 years (and then Matt came along,making us 2), but still - even one is work. Having the twins on top is like some sort of blessing/curse that you can't describe to people who don't have them.


People will say to me out in public "I don't know how you do it."


I want to say back "Man, neither do I."


Maybe that is my Mom's answer too.

See, she's even laid back feeding Stingrays.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do we actually own an iron?

Her Bad Mother said...

Oh, don't even get me started. My mother made it look effortless. Me? I'm ALL EFFORT.

Unknown said...

MOM rocks and come to think of it I think I'll some eggs and toast tomorrow when I wake up at like noon or 1.GOd mom makes the best eggs

Anonymous said...

My Dad did all the cooking, and my Mom had no patience for listening to us talk about anything, so I'm making it all up as I go along. Your kids are happy, healthy and safe, so you are doing a fantastic job!

Anonymous said...

I think some people are just really good at the domestic thing. I'm not, of course. I wan't blessed with the gift *sigh*

Becky said...

Iron? What's an iron?

April Brandon said...

My momma was the same way. I don't think that I have it quite as hard as you...I mean, I have a 7 year old who is pretty self sufficient...and Madison is the easiest baby to take care of. Maybe it's all in the age of your children as to when the "cool mom" gene kicks in. Also, look at the age difference between you when you had kids, and your mom when she had you....then Matt. By the time she had matt, she already had 10 years of practice...so it looked easier.
I don't know if my gene has kicked in yet...maybe it never will.

April Brandon said...

just so that you know...i had to verify the letters 7 times before it let me publish that comment....how irritating.