A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Friday, May 09, 2008

They "GET" Neither The Beatles Nor Sarcasm in Dixie

Actual conversation that took place today.

I send a daily stats email to employees daily. I always include trivia or a name that tune sort of thing, for fun - to break up the drudgery etc. Today's email was including a line from PENNY LANE.

One of the girls came of and said she didn't know the song - what was it?

The exchange went like this:
Me: Penny Lane, by the Beatles.
Her: OH....I don't really like the Beatles, I only like classic old stuff like Zeppelin. Not new stuff.
Me: Ummmmm, the Beatles? John Paul George Ringo?
Her: Right. I don't really like new music.
Me: You know the Beatles came out like 40+ years ago right?
Her: Oh is that when they started?
Me: Yeah they broke up like 71 or 72.....John Lennon was murdered in 80 so I don't think I'd really call them NEW.....
Her: Oh he got murdered? Which one was he?
Me: The English one. (the sarcasm begins HERE for you southerners)
Her: Wow what happened was it random?
Me: No he was murdered on purpose by a psychopath named Mark David Chapman who did it to be cool or some bullshit.
Her: WOW how do you know all this did you know him?
Me: Yeah.....we had the same birthday. (true, we do/did).
Her: Were your mom's in the hospital at the same time?
Me: Ummm. No.

At this point I exit to the stage left so I don't pee my pants laughing as my stone face was cracking.

5 comments:

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Never heard of The Beatles?

What the frig kind of rock has she been living under? My three year old know who The Beatles are.

Did you tell her that the Earth was in fact round?

Lumpyheadsmom said...

wow.

Rachel said...

Seriously?
Damn.
I'm with Sarah.. did you then tell her about the Earth being round, Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy and other such miraculous things?
How can you NOT know the Beatles? Is she 12?

Anonymous said...

I gotta go, I'm in the middle of a big bike race!

Anonymous said...

I must know a name. seriously. Im the youngest one in the office, and I know the beatles. This is inexcusable.
We will laugh about this monday. Yes ma'am.