A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Saturday, October 08, 2005

You Say It's Your Birthday?

John Lennon and I have a birthday today.
Except I am the only one getting older.
It's a drag to me (and I'm sure to the people who actually knew and loved him) that he isn't seeing 65 roll in. I was feeling a bit down about turning 37 tomorrow at 7:30am. I'm feeling sort of "rudderless" to use Xta's word. It's not that anything is wrong.......it's just that everything feels temporary here to me sometimes, and I'm not sure why.
And then I started thinking more about my birthday buddy John Lennon. On John Lennon's 37th birthday he only had three more years to live. He didn't know this, but we know it now. If I only had three more years to live, what would I want to fill them with? I think I must now stop embracing my depression at the wrinkles on my face and the sagging of my boobs and remember this.
I am fighting the melancholy that was all over me earlier today, making me dread my birthday party tonight with friends as a reminder of my own cruise toward the big 40. I think instead I will enjoy it despite myself.....
I just put the John Lennon IMAGINE license plate on my car, Florida just started issuing them. I think it's a nice sentiment to carry around on your car.

Steven Tyler knew what kind of day I was having this morning, though. When I rolled the car out of the garage he immediately started singing to me:
Every time I look in the mirror
All these lines in my face getting clearer
the past is gone.
It went by, like dusk to dawn.

No doubt brother, no doubt.

So, happy birthday John. We miss you. And happy birthday to me.

2 comments:

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Happy birthday.

Heidi said...

Your boobs may be sagging (hell, whose aren't?!) but you know that Koko would still love to get a handle on your nipples!!!

Happy Birthday!