A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Friday, March 21, 2008

The Gathering Storm


We sent the husband for a CT scan because of his hernias last week. He's had these hernias, causing him severe - sometimes debilitating abdominal pain for probably two years. Or more. Our doctor in Tampa said "oh you've got hernias, you're too fat we can't do surgery until you lose weight blah blah blah." They prescribed pain killers which he couldn't really take AND care for the children so were then useless.

Instead of hernias, they came back with concerns of "shotty retroperitoneal lymphadenopathy" and some other concerns.

Not much to say about hernias.

So we go now to check for cancer. Types of cancer. To see what is the problem inside the father of my children, what is causing him so much pain.

And I worry like I have never, ever in my life worried about anything. The "what ifs" spin out of control in my mind. I want to scream and hit. Mostly our previously doctor. And Fate. I'm thinking about my children and I'm thinking about my husband and what HE is going through.

Insert panic and fear here.
I'm not sure what to actually SAY about this.

There could be "ok" news, do X Y Z and he'll be "ok". There could be terrible, unimaginable news. I don't know how to bridge the gap of possibilities we are facing. Or how to articulate them.

When is the adult who is going to take care of us going to show up? We surely can't be grown up enough to be in the place, can we?

The picture above is an actual shot of the tornado tearing through downtown Atlanta.
Cool eh?

Wish us luck.

6 comments:

Barbara Raymond said...

I have no words...except that I'm so sorry, which - while true - is not very helpful. Being so far away, it's hard to think of anything productive we can do for you, so I guess we'll just pray.

Please don't hesitate to ask, though, if there is something we can do to help... We've become pretty bitchin' babysitters, for example, if you're in the area & in need. Just say the word.

Mark & I love you both. Please tell the husband that we're pulling for him.

christa said...

if my heart could speak, it would be a lot more eloquent than my brain right now. it would let you know how much i care for you and your family. but for now all i have are these inadequate words.

please call me when you need to vent.

Laura said...

You say that you don't have the words, but you do. What you wrote was real and heartfelt and heartbreaking and beautiful all at the same time. I, also, do not think I have the words to comfort you, so I'll just say I love you all and hope that you know how much.

Steve W said...

I'm not sure I can say anything that hasn't been said in the previous comments. My wife and I are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers and hoping for the best.

It's times like this when it smacks us in the face how unimportant some seemingly pressing things in life really are in the grand scheme of things, like voting for the idiot who is replacing the other idiot or rooting for the favorite team in the tournament.

We hope all turns out well. If you need anything, especially if you happen to be in Minnesota, please let us know.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I'm thinking of you guys. I'm sending good vibes south and slightly west.

Frank said...

First test down, nothing found. Next test next week. Thanks everyone. Isn't Gidge just the best wife ever? I don't know what I would do without her.