A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

...And Each Town Looks the Same to Me the Movies, and the Factories

It's weird when you relocate. Because it's not just the differences you try to adjust to, for me it's the sameness that I always find a little unnerving. As though there is some vanilla flavor washing across the country and everything will be the same eventually.

"Now All Restaurants are Taco Bell." (Who remembers DEMOLITION MAN?)

And while there is comfort to be found when you're out of your element not once but twice as I was last month (move to GA then POOF to Chicago for two weeks) it's nice to know you can find knee high stockings and macaroni and cheese at the WalMart, I miss having a store more specific. More......local.

When we left David Letterman's neighborhood and moved to Kentucky, I would get sad.....because I would confuse our little Kroger grocery store with the one where we used to live. I'd be walking up and down the aisles trying to figure out why bread wasn't where it was supposed to be.......and then I'd get teary eyed because I'd realize I wasn't HOME. I was in this new place. Even when four years had gone by and it really had become my home....I still thought of that first, little Krogers as my grocery store.

Now, two re locations later I'm finally back in a place that HAS Krogers (and PUBLIX HOOHOO MAN that rocks) but what I've realized is that Walmart has homogenized the shopping experience to such an extent that I don't even notice that it isn't my store. I know that the WalMarts in Northern Chicagoland have a HUGE selection of foundation and hosiery for pasty white girls like me. I also know that despite some slight variation in store set up, I can find anything in Walmart.

I've got too many tiny humans to feed and diaper NOT to shop at Walmart. They've got me. But someday (shaking fist at the sky like Scarlett O'Hara).........
I WILL NEVER SHOP AT WALMART AGAIN.

That day, to be shortly proceeded by a lottery win.

4 comments:

Kemp said...

Demolition Man... one of Sly's under-appreciated films with a terrific Denis Leary rant:

"I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder - "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke Cuban cigars the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green jello all over my body reading playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener.""

Ahhhhhhh, I can relate to that rant...

a happier girl said...

My favorite thing about Wal-Mart is the one stop shopping. You can pick up a part to repair your toilet, cheap flip flops, toys and a few groceries all in the same place. People that don't have kids that ride in car seats do not understand the luxury of the one stop shopping.

April Brandon said...

Do you know what's funny about you mentioning Demolition Man?? Matt and I were talking about that movie just three or four days ago....while we were eating taco bell. It's amazing how small and indifferent the world is.
I'm hoping that I'll get you home again before Madison graduates from college....lol. We'd love to see you. I'd even throw down on some gas money to get you here.

Frank said...

Home is where WE are.