A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Stranger In a Strange Land

I realize that I'm a Yankee. And that I'm not a Believer. So this makes me glow day glow green around these parts in the right situations. But you know I wasn't always a heathen. I used to have some religion and Beliefs in otherworldly things. So I don't consider myself completely out of touch with the ways of the Christian community.

I mean, I've heard some crazy stuff. Like my friend from eastern Kentucky whose parents wouldn't let her go to church with any of the neighbors in case they were secret snake handling Christians. And I recently reviewed (and did not choose) a pediatrician's website that was so chock full of the bible that it was disconcerting. But I never really felt the urge to gasp WTF at a little table of people I barely knew until I heard this conversation regarding a guy one of the girls has been dating.


"It's just not going to work out."

"Why not don't you like him?"

" Yeah I like him."

"Doesn't he have a good job?"

"Oh yes he has a great job."

" Is he funny?"

"He's great. So funny."

"Does he treat you well?"

"Oh he treats me great."

"Well what about his spirituality?"



Ummm.


What?


I mean, I figure if you're a church going person you probably seek out other churchgoing people and that makes sense.


But I have never, in my life, heard a group of adult women rating a guy on his spirituality.


I bet if they new how spiritual I am, their heads would explode.


This is probably not the best sort of place to tell the story of how when I met my husband, it was when my food order came up to 6.66 and I leaned across the counter and said "My Lord Satan Told Me To Order That."

7 comments:

Missy said...

Haha that's a great story.

And no, I wouldn't have said that 'spirituality' would be a top five make-or-break thing. But that's just me, with very little religion left at this point. I'd like to think the morals have stayed!

Anonymous said...

She' pure evil. How could I not love her?

Anonymous said...

"My Lord Satan Told Me To Order That."

Ahahahahaha!

Anonymous said...

I have not dated guys because they were too religious, but never the other way around.

Kellyology said...

Bwhahahaha...what a story! Living in the middle of the bible belt I feel your pain. It's nice to know I'm not the only vixen out there!lol

Anonymous said...

New reader here (fellow Colts fan -- that's how I found you).

I once got dumped for my (lack of) religious beliefs. We had dated for more than 2 years, had been best friends prior to that. So, she was well aware of my shortcomings in that area (and only in that area...).

Nutjob went right ahead and dated me anyway.

Hindsight being what it is, I dodged a real bullet there. Saw her a couple of years back at a high school reunion. She still looks OK, so its not that she turned hideous or anything. She's just a complete nutjob...

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club! Had I known that, I'd have shown you the secret handshake when we saw you a couple of weeks ago! :)

But, considering where you live, you wight want to opt for a bit more caution, because those Religious Folks Of The South (TM) might start asking questions if they see you walking around, just shakin' yer head at 'em all of the time... ;)