A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Part Two - I am a BAD PARENT


I've quit paying attention to milestones. When they're in their first year we all keep track like crazy. Can they hold up their head? Can they smile? Do their eyes track moving objects? Can they hold a spoon?
Sometime after 18 months I swear I just stop paying attention. Maybe that isn't it. Maybe I just take all of the next stuff for granted - as in "Well they got all the early stuff I'm sure they'll get the rest." And then they blow me away.
Baby Birth of Cool sings songs I never taught him (seriously where is he learning them?). Baby Birdman colors with great intent choosing colors while coloring, not just using the one crayon he is first offered. And Little Satchmo brings me his piggy bank and offers me the money in it after I tell him he can't have something because mommy doesn't any money. "I should give this back if we don't have any money," he said.
So I'm celebrating a milestone today. A milestone that tore at my heart but was the right thing to do. We've moved the twins in with their big brother creating a "kids" room. Previously they still slept in baby beds in our room. I wouldn't go so far as to say that we're "attachment" parents but I will admit to having a thing about being able to hear my kids breathe. Consequently, I haven't had a decent nights sleep in 4 1/2 years.

Little Satchmo already had a rockin firetruck bed purchased by Grandma, so we picked up two toddler beds at Toys R Us. After having read about a BILLION threads on my twins mom forum regarding moving twins from baby beds to toddler beds I knew that it was going to be one HELL of an adjustment. So I tried to learn from everyone elses mistakes. We cleared out everything (ALL TOYS PEOPLE) except the beds and the dresser and put a gate up at the door. We were completely prepared for them to run like mad and act crazy all night, ending up sleeping on the floor.
I have to say, we were delightfully surprised. Everyone slept all night in their own beds without incident.

And that, my friends, is a milestone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT'S the secret? Taking all of the toys out of the room? I sure could have used that advice a few years ago!

Congratulations on finally being able to sleep soundly all night!

Anonymous said...

Of course, you snuck in four times through the night just to check on them, right? - Tim

Tink said...

He offered you his piggybank! Awwww. And congrats on the milestone. Good thinking, moving out the toys.