A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Thursday, November 03, 2011

The Pumpkin Ritual


Murdering pumpkins is a long standing family tradition. I like to blame IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN CHARLIE BROWN for this. In my family it's just not Halloween if we don't murder some pumpkins and watch the Great Pumpkin.
I let my children participate in the carnage because you know, it's fun to gut stuff together. In fact, the oldest boy does it exactly long enough to say he participated and then he's kind of icked out by the process. I swear I'm going to make him do it all next year.
We also like to paint their faces to mock their demise. Bwaaahaaahaaa pumpkins your fate lies in our hands! BEHOLD THE SILLY FACES WE WILL MAKE YOU WEAR!
It's sort of sad really, these pumpkins go to their end manhandled and mocked. But I didn't tell them to be plants. I learned, on the TV, so you know it's true, that the only place on Earth that pumpkins won't grow is Antarctica. This makes Antarctica a lesser place in my mind. I'm not sure I'd want to live in a place with no pumpkins.

How could a place exist without these amazing orbs of joy that exist only to make wee ones smile?
Well, and frighten off demons. They're good for that too.

I'm thinking the demon population in Antarctica must be running rampant. That's another good reason to avoid that place.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Maybe that's what they mean by 'hell freezing over'. It's really just Antarctica on a normal day.