A Mommy Blog About Raising Men, Not Boys.
RSS

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Something's Going To Happen. Something Wonderful.

You don't always know when the last conversation you have with someone will be. Hell, it's likely you don't even remember when the first conversation was.
But Dec 8 transformed for me yesterday, from being the day that John Lennon died - to the day I had my first conversation.
With a five year old boy, who is autistic.

In my bleary eyed o'dark hundred rush to get the non-sick twin out the door to school, I was parked on the coffee table slippin on shoes and socks and singing along to Sesame Street when a little voice, as clear as a bell asked,"Where Charlie?"

I froze.

He reached out his foot to remind me what I was at, and I continue as I answered him."Charlie is sick. No school today for Charlie. He had to stay home."

He sat there for a moment and then said,"School Today. Go to school today."

I realized he was watching me very pointedly so I said,"No, Charlie has to stay home.No school today. Will you tell Miss Jenna Charlie is sick?"

He smiled and said "Charlie sick."

I'd stop there and be amazed and all teary eyed at this breakthrough - except it doesn't stop there. I emailed his teacher when I got to work, because I was SO excited about this and she emailed me back later.

While they were naming who was at school that day, she asked Miles "Where is Charlie?"
And at first he stared at her confused, but then piped up and said "No school today. School tomorrow."

He gets it. Suddenly, something inside him is getting it.

December 8. The first day I ever had a conversation with my son.

I can't wait to find out what else he has to say.

9 comments:

Frank said...

Man, that made me cry.

Frank said...

Ummm, is Lou goose-stepping in the background?

Anonymous said...

Wow. Well, damn that's amazing. Just, WOW! - Tim

April Brandon said...

That made me cry too!!!!

Saiyge Lotus said...

That is -wonderful-!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This story is so worth re-doing my eye makeup for. I love crying with a big smile on my face--it confuses the man of the house.

EKG said...

my little boy! (okay fine, he's not mine!) that made me tear up too!

I love them so....

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

That is amazing. Congratulations to all of you.

Arcadia Nightfire said...

Those moments are so amazing. Lucy has those days where it's like something just clicks and she gets it...whatever it is that day. It's an amazing thing to see.

*hugs you*